Tuesday 27 September 2011

Veronica Falls

Veronica Falls get the Max thumbs up.


I must admit...I don't really want to use the word retro to describe the sound of this band. However, it does hark back to the early 80s. I cannot help thinking there's a strong vintage Blondie influence there.


On the 1st listen you are left curious as to where to pigeon hole this band....yes, artists and musicians hate being pigeon-holed - and what for, anyway? But the human brain does try to categorise. In this case, one's brain is searching for something to familiarise itself with.It's a difficult task and that's why this band is so good...they sound unique, actually.


The infectious "Found Love In A Graveyard" quite frankly sounds like something you'd play on your ipod while frivolously strolling through a graveyard. As we so often do.


I would highly recommend this band if you're a fan of The Strokes, Ramones, Flaming Lips, Blondie, The Vines, Mazzy Star..you get where I'm going with this?


The jangly guitars and eery vocals set back in the mix give Veronica Falls a charming English lo-fi sound...at the end of  "Found Love In A Graveyard" I could hear the faint buzz of the electric guitar's pickups through the amp. It's real. And that's what I like about them.


Check em out










No comments:

Post a Comment